Friday, January 27, 2012

1910s Corset Assembly

I mocked up two of the three pattern options: the Bridges on the Body, and Jen Thompson's. Both corsets had very nice shapes, but the Bridges on the Body was almost the perfect size for me, so I went with that one. I cut out all the pieces the other day, and this evening, I began assembly. I didn't get too far - just put in the busk, sewed one other seam, and pinned one more. However, Taffy thinks I did a fine job with that busk. . .

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New project!

So in light of the fact that my old 1910s corset was a pretty good shape, but had a busk that was too long - and was too long overall - and therefore would be totally uncomfortable. . . And the thought of trying to take it apart and alter it was revolting (and wouldn't save any money since I'd have to buy a new busk either way), I decided to go ahead and make a new corset.

Yesterday, I printed out my pattern options, cut them out, and taped them all together. Left to right they are the pattern everyone is using over at Bridges on the Body, the Teens Era Corset from Festive Attyre, and the c. 1911 corset from Corsets and Crinolines.

Not sure yet which one I will work with. It depends on the mocking up, which has yet to take place!