Saturday, June 9, 2012

And now with a hat!

Today I attended a stroll and tea which required a hat as part of the dress code, so of course I started mine last night. ;) This is just a cheap party store straw hat, which got soaked and shaped and left over night to dry - which it didn't! So this morning, I spent time going over it with my hair dryer, which got it mostly dry. Then I took a long strip of fabric and fashioned it into something bow-ish. It's not perfect, but hey, it worked! And, being ever so slightly damp meant I was able to shape it a bit more once I had it on. Here it is in the picture below, worn too far off to the side, because during the course of the stroll, I discovered this hat is definitely a two-hat-pin hat!

8 comments:

  1. You look great, Jenni! Love the fabric for your bow. I actually like the hat at an angle!

    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The outfit looks great. I like fabric for the blouse. And the hat is cool.
    re: hat soaking and shaping would that work if I wanted to do a bonnet do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have definitely heard of people remaking cheap straw hats into bonnets, but I don't know too much about it, having never tried it myself. I have a feeling that to get from a hat like this to a Regency style bonnet, one would have to do some taking apart and resewing. . . And actually, with the weave of this particular hat, it wouldn't have been possible. But if you can find one of those hats made of the braided straw, where it was just sewn around and around - those are the ones you can take apart, soak, and basically just recycle the straw braid from it. . .

      Delete
    2. I used the technique. Thought you'd be interested to see the results
      http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/a-regency-capto-save-fortune-in-hair.html
      It sits on my had like the one in the fashion plate.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad that technique worked for you!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete