Monday, June 19, 2017

Graduated!

I graduated!!! And with High Honors, at that. So very exciting! I'm now in the middle of a couple of months break between careers, as I fill in what I feel were gaps in my education with online classes, as well as spend some time seeing friends and family I have not seen in a while due to putting full-time-work-plus-school on top for the past four years. I even have a costume adventure coming up: Jane Austen Fest in Louisville!

But first, I want to share this dress that I made for my graduation. I had stumbled onto this cool fabric that has a green and silver binary print on a black ground. My school colors are green and white, and my degree is programming/computer science, so how perfect is this?!? I also love that the print is very small, so it's not too tacky. Just the right amount of themed fun! (And, bonus puffy kitty tail!)



I decided I just wanted a very simple sleeveless dress, both because I was concerned about overheating, what with wearing a polyester robe in June, and because I want to be able to wear it in my everyday life post-graduation. I decided to go with Simplicity 1652, which is a princess-seamed dress from the "Amazing Fit" line, which means the pattern pieces are already adjusted for various cup sizes. Unfortunately, the cup sizes weren't quite large enough for me. Fortunately, I finally got over my fear of the dreaded FBA! In the end, I don't know why I was so afraid of it. It's ridiculously simple, and worked out right on the first try!



After that, making the dress was a piece of cake. Of course, I was down to the wire with it, doing most of the construction the day before, with some last minute touches (including remembering I had to have a pocket, so unpicking the skirt side seam and putting one in!) the morning of. But being me, I still managed to line it, of course! I chose a bright green, because colorful linings are fun!







After graduation, Glenn suggested we "go out to eat" but when I got home, I discovered that a big surprise party had been put together for me! It included a fabulous cake that looked like a circuit board!



Also, there were lots of funny, cute decorations that my Mom put together, like these little silverware pockets!



The award for best gift-wrap job goes to Sydney. She even got the tassel color right!



It was such a perfect day. Thank you to everyone who made it a special, memorable day for me!



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's very exciting! I hope that you are so happy with the new paths that will open up for you. Your dress and party look like lots of fun!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Quinn! I am super excited to start my new career. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on graduating! That's awesome that you found such great fabric that goes with your degree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! I am also doing the work-full-time-and-school thing, so I understand how much it eats your life. What an amazing feeling to complete the gauntlet! Best wishes on your next few months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Best of luck to you with your school adventures!

      Delete