Friday, March 30, 2012

1910s Princess Slip Patterning

I decided to work on more of my underpinnings tonight. I probably should have resumed the 1910s brassiere, but I felt more like patterning than sewing, so I pulled out the Edwardian Modiste, and started working on scaling up the Princess Slip (page 344). This was my first time using the "American System of Cutting Rulers," and I am IN LOVE! I was able to choose the width based on my bust size, and length based on my real length. And since I'm short-waisted, I used one scale for the waist-up half of the pattern, but a larger scale for the waist-down. I feel like this could result in a fairly accurate pattern! The only adjustment I anticipate having to make is possibly letting out the waist area, because I have a feeling the average woman in 1909 had a smaller bust-to-waist ratio than I, even with my corset! I'll have to wait until I mock this up to know for sure. . .

2 comments:

  1. It was fun finding your site. I have my grandmother's 1916 diary, written the year she turned 21. In each of my blog posts, I include one or more of her diary entries. http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/02/calico-spools-quilt-block.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed a very interesting idea!

      Delete